Sunday, October 25, 2009

Halloween Party Craft

I get to help with the Halloween party for Connor's class this year. I'm so glad! Last year, I helped with Lindsey's class party, so this evens it out a bit. I volunteered to pick out a craft and I was determined to have the kids make something that wouldn't just get thrown away when they get home. I wanted something that could be used as a decoration throughout the years.
So I came up with the idea of a type of candle holder made from a wooden block.

Here is what I did:

Cut a 4x4 piece of wood into 4 inch segments.


Using a 1.5 inch drill bit, drill a shallow hole into the center of the cube.


Put a coat of white primer paint on the cubes.


Paint the cubes various bright Halloween colors. I got purple, green, yellow, orange and black for the kids to choose from.


Using craft Glue Dots (because we all know how messy kids are with actual glue) put a piece of ribbon around the cube.

I got these adorable pre-painted Halloween wooden embellishments from Micheals to put on the front where the ribbon comes together. They had witches, haunted houses, bats, cats and monsters. They were inexpensive and added the perfect decoration to the front.


Add a tea light in the center whole and your done!! I love them and hope the kids and their parents will enjoy them for years to come.


1 comments:

Mary said...

Maybe you can make one for Meg! I love it!