Thursday, November 05, 2009

Stupid Cancer

I was already feeling sad about Dax and I woke up to an email yesterday morning that felt like I had been punched in the gut. Cancer had taken the life of a friend! The life of someone who helped shape my life today.

Wayne and Adam met each other during their Freshman year of college. They lived on the same floor in the dorms, had the same major and became friends. Actually, I think that entire floor of guys were friends throughout college. I met Adam about a year later. He was from my hometown and we met over summer break. We dated about a year. We had an amicable split and remained friends. It was during a visit to see him the following fall that I met Wayne...we all know how that story ended. So, I can honestly say that without Adam, I would have never met my husband.

Adam fought a brave battle with Cancer for 2 years. He had a very aggressive form of a childhood cancer that didn't hit him until he was in his early 30's. Another thing worth mentioning about Adam is that he entered the Army directly out of college. He served a tour in Afghanistan and most of a tour in Iraq before his cancer symptoms emerged and he was brought home for treatment.

Here is a picture of him. Adam, I hope you are resting peacefully now. God bless you!

0 comments: