Tuesday, November 03, 2009

A Heavy Heart

Today there is a little boy named Dax, just one neighborhood over from mine, who is losing his fight with leukemia. He is only 2 years old. It absolutely breaks my heart! I've been checking in on his website and read that his parents have decided to celebrate Christmas with him now because doctors have told them they may have as few as 4 weeks left with him. As I drove through his neighborhood on my way home from the store last night, I saw that a lot of the houses have put out their Christmas decorations early to show support for this family. They are encouraging people all throughout our community to decorate for Dax.

My heart has been heavy for days and even though I don't know this family, I can't help but feel saddened for them. There isn't much I can do, I know, but I decided that I wanted to do something...anything. Today, I went to the store and bought Dax a Christmas gift. After school, the kids and I wrapped it and dropped it off at their house. I spoke with the neighbor briefly and when I introduced myself she knew of us. Apparently Wayne coached her daughters soccer team last spring. She thanked us for bringing Dax a gift and I explained that we wanted to do something to bring a smile to his face.

Then, I drove away thanking God for the blessings in my life and for the health of my children and I sobbed...

Here is Dax's website for those interested: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/daxlocke

2 comments:

Mary said...

Did you watch the video photo shoot? My heart is truly broken for this family. I don't know how one goes on living day to day knowing their child is dying. They are remarkable people.

Michelle said...

Yes, I did. It's so very sad.